Zanzibar Travel introduces TANZANIA TRAILS For 2018.
For 2018 we have introduced a new “product” we call “Tanzania Trails”.
Based on the mainland of Tanzania it is a slightly more intrepid trip than the wonderful beaches of Zanzibar and includes:
- Visiting working Tanzanian towns and villages.
- Walks in forested mountains with spectacular waterfalls, swimming in natural river pools, viewing points over endless plains, birdwatching and the option of biking and canoeing.
- Game viewing in one of Tanzania’s relatively unknown National Parks where there is a high concentration of game.
- Finally, relaxing on a private Indian Ocean island at a lodge with just 12 thatched cottages.
The duration of the holiday is totally flexible, but to make the most of the varied experiences we suggest 12 days/nights.
- Tanzania Trails starts with a night in Dar es Salaam on a bed & breakfast basis
- The following day you will be met early by your driver with exclusive use of a vehicle for the 4 hour (approx) drive to Morogoro. During the afternoon you have the chance to explore the bustling town of Morogoro set at the foothills of the imperious Uluguru Mountains. The night will be spent at Simbamwenni Tented Lodge on a bed & breakfast basis. Simbamwenni Lodge is set within 6 acres of peaceful park-like tropical gardens along the Ngerengere river. Accommodation is either in Deluxe Bungalows or En-Suite Tents.
- Today you will be transferred by private vehicle for approximately 3 hours to Udzungwa Forest Tented Camp (also known as Hondo Hondo).
- Udzungwa Forest Tented Camp for 4 x nights in an en-suite tent on a full board basis. This simple, no frills Camp borders the Udzungwa Mountains National Park in southern Tanzania.
During your stay you have a wide choice of activities:
- Walking/hiking in the Udzungwa Mountains National Park catering for a range of abilities from social walkers to more serious hiker. View spectacular waterfalls. The Park is home to different species of primates and a large variety of birds. For the less active there are walks out from the grounds of Hondo Hondo.
- Village Tour to the bustling, vibrant, wonderfully chaotic Mang’ula village. The village can be visited by mountain bikes which are available for hire.
- Dugout canoe trip on the Kilombero river. It is likely you’ll see hippos, crocodiles, Nile monitor lizards and many birds, including the endemic Kilombero Weaver and if you’re really lucky, a shoebill.
- Nature trails around the Camp.
- Overnight Fly Camping – The Lodge offers overnight fly camping at many locations. You will be accompanied by a ranger/guide, cook and porters who will carry your camping equipment. Hear the night time “noise” of the African bush; witness the carpet of stars with no ambient light. The experience of a lifetime.
- After 4 nights (or as many as you would like) transfer by private vehicle to Mikumi National Park – approx 2 hours.
- Stanley’s Kopje for 2 x days/nights on a full board basis and includes game drives. Stanley’s Kopje resides over the best game viewing area of the park, the Mwanamboga waterhole. The main dining/bar/sitting areas enjoying fine 360 degree views over the surrounding Mikumi wilderness, whilst the 12 spacious en-suite tents are scattered around the lower perimeter of the hill, with stunning views across the plains.
- Mikumi National Park has a high concentrations of game, with large herds of Nyasa Blue Wildebeest, buffalo, impala, zebra and giraffe. Where there are large herds, there are always plenty of predators (lion, leopard) waiting for dinner. With over 400 species of birds in the Park there is plenty to keep any bird enthusiast interested. Excursions are on a shared basis.
- After 2 days/nights you will have a 6 hour drive, with picnic lunch and passing through interesting towns and villages to the coastal town of Bagamoyo. (Flight option also available.) From here you will have a short boat trip to the island which hosts Lazy Lagoon.
- Lazy Lagoon for 4 x nights on a full board basis. Your own private island in the Indian Ocean where the waves lap the white sandy beach just metres from your bed. Lazy Lagoon features 12 en suite beach “bandas” (thatched cottages) with unimpeded sea views and access straight on to the beach. The main dining and living area is spacious and airy, with high ceilings and cool wooden floors; the perfect escape from the midday sun. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served here, with each table enjoying sea views. There is a swimming pool located in front of the dining/bar area. Activities include sailing, snorkelling, kayaking, paddle boarding and, of course, swimming. Trips can be made to the historic town of Bagamoyo where Livingstone, Speke, Burton & Stanley started their explorations of East Africa.
- On your last day you will have the short boat transfer to the mainland and then a 2 hour road transfer to Dar es Salaam for your return flight.
Based on 2 people (Double/Twin accommodation) = £2,080.00 per person.
Based on 4 people (2 x Double/Twin accommodation) = £1,830.00 per person.
- Accommodation and board basis as described above.
- All road transfers with exclusive use of a vehicle, driver and fuel costs.
- Excursions, Park & Conservation Fees at Stanley’s Kopje
- International flights.
- Excursions, guide & ranger fees and Park Fees at Udzungwa Forest Tented Camp. We can quote on different excursions & associated fees.
- Visa, travel insurance.
Tanzania Trails is ideal for families seeking a gentle African adventure. We suggest a minimum age of 8 years. There are generous reductions for children aged under 12 years sharing with parents.